Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Change of Plans

 So I've already decided not to design my own quilt. There's just too much I don't know and should practice on other designs first. Like bias cutting! I've chosen a Secret Gardens design, which involves a whole bunch of diagonal cuts and stripes and that sort of thing.
 Looks pretty complicated! I'm still using my original inspiration for the colours, and I've now pre-washed and colour-tested all of the fabric. The one on the right? I wish it showed up better, because I think it's my favourite.
 The processes are all different when quilt-making, but luckily I love every part of it. Even the colour-testing.
 Unfortunately, the red fabric is far from colourfast. I pre-washed it twice, but there's a good chance it will still bleed, meaning that the finished quilt likely won't be machine-washable. So sad.
 Doing some bias cutting! Enjoying the colours together! But I had to stop because my sewing machine started making this terrible clunking noise, and then I ran out of thread. I've clean and oiled the whole thing and it's running smoothly, but I won't be able to get back to sewing until tomorrow night. Some time between then and now, I'll have to go to the store for thread and sewing machine needles.
 Now I've got a bunch of these! They're pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment